School District Partnerships
U-CAN has established long-term partnerships with several California school districts, as well as a consortium of community organizations. The organization has provided ongoing education support and outreach services to high school students in the following school districts:
- Sacramento City Unified School District 2000-Present
- Twin Rivers Unified School District 2012-Present
- Grant Joint Union High School District 2006-2007
- Elk Grove Unified School District 1998-2010
Our on-site high school programs (grades 9-11) focuses on self and career awareness/assessments, exploration of occupations/career fields of interest, making/monitoring an educational plan based on career goals and college majors, options to pay for college, building a professional portfolio, evaluating/selecting colleges, preparing for and taking college entrance exams, as well as acquiring other pertinent college prep/awareness information. Although seniors may continue to engage in same/similar activities as students in grades 9-11, their central focus will be completing their college entrance portfolio to present to admission officials during the U-CAN Annual College Recruitment Fair hosted in several locations throughout the Sacramento area during the month of September. The remainder of the year, seniors will continue to actively engage in the following college prep activities: evaluating and selecting post-secondary institutions, completing the application process, selecting a major/program, completing and submitting the FAFSA, conducting scholarship searches, reviewing, negotiating and finalizing college offers, and being orientated to college or university environments and learning how to cope with campus life.
The U-CAN administrators also serve as admissions liaisons between students/families and college officials (admissions, financial aid and housing).
U-CAN has a long-standing relationship with Nehemiah Corporation of America. Nehemiah Corporation continues to provide financial support and scholarship awards to the U-CAN program.
U-CAN has a long-standing relationship with New Faze Development of Sacramento, California. New Faze Development continues to provide financial support to U-CAN
U-CAN has a new partnership with the 100 Black Men of Sacramento that started with their sponsorship of the U-CAN 25th Anniversary Gala.
U-CAN has a long-standing relationship with the United Black Student Unions of California.
U-CAN is proud to announce its latest partnership with the Alcorn State University (ASU) Sacramento Alumni Chapter. With the recent waiving of out-of-state fees, Alcorn State University’s new president, Dr. Alfred Rankins, Jr., asked local alumni associations to encourage qualified students to consider attending Alcorn in the fall of 2015. The partnership began in April with the alumni association contributing financial support to underwrite a very successful Sacramento area recruitment and perspective student support campaign.
We are extremely proud to be accompanying approximately 20 students and their families to Alcorn State University (ASU) in August to participant in the ASU Freshmen Induction Ceremony, Sunday, August 23, 2015.
Our 2015 Annual College Recruitment Fair host Districts and community organizations include:
- Fairfield Area (Mount Calvary Baptist Church Scholarship Committee)
- Willie B. Atkins Project (Vallejo City Unified School District)
- Laney College and Oakland Unified School District
- Sacramento Area (Sacramento City Unified School District, Twin Rivers Unified School District, and Elk Grove Unified School)
- San Francisco Unified School District and the San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators
- Moreno Valley Unified School District
- San Bernardino City Unified School District
- Rialto Unified School District
- Fontana Unified School District
- Antioch Unified School District
- Las Vegas NV (Office of Clark County Commissioner Lawrence Weekly and Clark County Schools )