This year we will be hosting UCAN’s Summer Bridge Program at:
San Juan Unified School District
Twin Rivers Unified School District
Natomas Unified School District
WHAT IS IT? The Summer Bridge Program is designed to help you get into a four-year college or university:
- It lasts only one week
- It is free and includes lunch
- You will be instructed on how to improve low grades or fulfill missing A-G requirements
- You will complete your college portfolio — personal essay and letters of recommendation
- You will begin preparations to take the ACT/SAT
- You will learn what financial aid, grants, and scholarships are available to you and how to apply
- You will interact with recent graduates who know what it takes to be successful in college
You will be assigned a peer mentor to help you develop a plan for your future
Best decision I have ever made! Xavier University of Louisianan is the #1 HBCU in the country for assisting African Americans with getting into medical school. The world renown pharmacy program is where I will obtain my degree from. It offers all the comforts of home, culture, southern hospitality and of course my education desires. Dr. Rowe and the UCAN organization showed me the way and made certain I was on the right path to get here. Through their inspiration, dedication, and belief in me, I hope to be referred to as Dr. Pearson one day.
Chemistry/ Pharm Major
When I entered my Junior year at West Campus High School, I wasn’t sure which college to go to. I knew I wanted to go and that my family wanted me to also, but we didn’t know any of the steps.
One day, U-CAN came to my school and talked about going to an HBCU and it peaked my interests. I had never been in an environment where a predominantly black student population was as determined to succeed as I was.
I went to the summer bridge program and I was prepared for the college fair at Sacramento High School where I was offered several scholarships.
Currently, I am a sophomore sports management major at Howard University and I am grateful for the UCAN Program!